A multitude of upcoming buy local events and other happenings
Image by Flickr user Steve RhodesImage by 20091130-local.jpg
The shopping season is upon us, and what better way to support the Charleston community than to shop local? Kristin Bostic of Financial Management Group Inc. has put together a master list to promote buying local and being local.
Tuesday, December 1st:
- Independent Movie & After Party to kick-off Buy Local Week: “Paperback Dreams: The Life & Times of the Independent Bookstore.” 7 pm. Purchase tickets here.
- 5% of sales today at the Whole Foods in Mt. Pleasant will go to Slow Foods Charleston. The money they receive that day will go towards an organic garden they are tending with second graders at Stono Park Elementary School. The store opens at 8 a.m. and they'll log sales until 9 p.m.
Wednesday, December 2nd:
- Eat Local Night! Click here for a list of restaurants that will be donating a portion of the night’s proceeds to Lowcountry Local First.
Thursday, December 3rd:
- Charleston Tree Lighting! Marion Square, 4:30 to 6 p.m.
- PURE Theater's "It's a Wonderful Life: 1940's Radio Show.” Presented by PURE Theater who is generously donating 20% of the evening's proceeds to LLF. 7:30 p.m.
- King Street Shop Walk: The perfect time to start your holiday shopping and support local retailers! Your $15 pass (purchased in advance here) gets you in to over 25 participating retailers & designers who are all offering you exclusive discounts and special perks. The evening kicks off at V2V at 295 King Street, for complimentary wine, signature drinks, and appetizers by Cupcake. This event benefits the Center for Women.
Saturday, December 5th:
- Reindeer Run 5k! Starts and ends at Southend Brewery downtown. 9 a.m.
- Alternative Giving Fair: The idea is simple, instead of buying a gift for someone; you make a charitable donation in their name. The charity then gives you a card to give to the person instead of a gift they probably don’t need anyway. There are 20 local charities participating! 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Gage Hall, 4 Archdale Street. (Head on over after working up a sweat at the Reindeer Run!)
- Holiday Tea & Shopping in Summerville: Sip some tea at Summerville’s Time Well Spent Tea Room while shopping Pampered Chef, Arbonne, & Gold Canyon. Free massages! 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., 211 Stallsville Loop, Summerville, SC 29485. For more information call Kristen Gardner at (724) 971-8309.
Sunday, December 6th:
- The Buy Local, Be Local Bash to wrap up Buy Local Week! The Landing at Shem Creek. Live music, great food, FireFly drinks and Palmetto beer! 7 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $35 in advance and $40 at the door.
Monday, December 7th:
- The next Charleston Tweetup! December event hosted by Pattaya Thai, 607- C Johnnie Dodds Blvd. in Mt. Pleasant (same shopping center as Eco Fitness). Join us for eats, $1 off beers, $10 house red + white bottles! Stay tuned to @CHSTweetup and @TheDigitel for more details.
Thursday, December 10th:
- MUSC Festival of Wreaths: Join us for savory hors d’oeuvres, bubbly champagne and live holiday music while perusing and bidding on locally made wreaths and mingling with friends. Palmetto Café in Charleston Place Hotel. 6 to 8 p.m. All proceeds go to MUSC Children’s Hospital. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. To purchase, please visit the Orient-Express Boutique in Charleston Place Hotel or call 843-937-9142.