Flickr user bsabarnowl
Through the past year, the Hunger and Homeless Coalition has opened four soup kitchens in the area--and one more's on its way.
The Hunger and Homeless Coalition works with local organizations and churches to give shelter and food to those who need it. Each soup kitchen is run by volunteers and is able to provide those in need with some hot food, fruits and veggies, and loaves of bread, which are provided by volunteer donations and Bluffton Self Help.
The four soup kitchens operate from noon until 1 p.m. on the days notated below and are:
- Grateful Hearts Soup Kitchen at Holy Family Catholic Church (24 Pope Ave., Hilton Head), which serves on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- Campbell Church Soup Kitchen (25 Boundary St., Bluffton), which serves on Wednesdays.
- St. Andrew By-the-Sea United Methodist Church (20 Pope Ave., Hilton Head), which serves on Fridays.
- Resurrections Christian Community Church (296 Spanish Wells Road, Hilton Head), which serves on Wednesdays.
- St. James Baptist Church Community Soup Kitchen (209 Beach City Road, Hilton Head), which will serve on Thursdays beginning in late January of early February.
For the whole story, head over to The Island Packet's article here.